Address: Laburnum Street, London E2 8BH
Visitors to London that are keen to get involved with the local community and enjoy some time on the open waters of the River Thames should plan a visit to the Laburnam Boat Club.
Situated on Laburnam Street in the area of Aldgate, this is one attraction that will is sure to keep the kids entertained, no matter their age. With kayaking and climbing, larger boat rides and much more to be seen, it is a great place to spend a day during a trip to the English capital.
A charity that thrives on the support of all those that head along to check out the many activities on offer, Laburnam Boat Club was started by three local volunteers back in 1983 and since then has gone from strength to strength through the unwavering support of the wider community.
Taking to the waters with Laburnam Boat Club
Visitors keen to enjoy some fun on the waves can take part in a range of nautical activities, with boat hire available in a range of categories:
Kayaking – Suitable for sailors of all ages and skill levels, the kayaking offered at Laburnam Boat Club is the perfect choice for families keen to take to the waters together, all under the expert tutelage of boat club staff.
Adult canoeing – Taking place every evening between 7.30pm and 9.30pm, the adult canoeing club gives a chance for visitors to learn to canoe or to simply take to the water on their own. This is an adults only event and means the distraction of kids can be eliminated.
Narrow boats – An experienced skipper will take groups of up to 12 passengers on a tour of the local waterways in one of the boat club’s beautiful narrow boats. Available for half and full-day bookings, it is a great way to unwind and gain a different perspective on the local area.
Meanwhile, visitors can enjoy a range of land-based activities as well, with a youth club regularly held for young people aged from nine to 19 and the recent addition of a new climbing, which stands five metres tall and offers challenging climbs to beginners and experts alike.
Public transport to Laburnam Boat Club
Individuals hoping to travel to this popular London attraction with relative ease might like to make use of the extensive London Underground network, which reaches out to many parts of the Greater London area.
While slightly off the beaten track in terms of its proximity to the Tube network, there are several Underground stations that serve the area around Laburnam Boat Club, including:
- Bethnal Green (Central line): 26 minutes
- Liverpool Street Underground Station (Central, Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines): 29 minutes
- Angel Station (Northern line): 32 minutes
However, overground rail may be another (and perhaps easier option) for visitors to Laburnam Boat Club, as the attraction lies within easy walking distance – less than five minutes – of the railway stations of both Hoxton and Haggerston.
Travellers can also make use of several nearby bus routes, which operate around the clock and provide useful links for visitors to enjoy. Full details of all public transport options that are available for visitors to the area can be found by heading to the official website of Transport for London.
Parking options for Laburnam Boat Club
Anyone planning to drive during their time in London can make use of several nearby parking facilities in the vicinity of Laburnam Boat Club, including:
- Holywell Lane Car Park (one mile, 20 minutes’ travel time on foot)
- Hearn Street Car Park (1.1 miles, 23 minutes)
- Spital Square Car Park (1.2 miles, 24 minutes)
- Bentley Road Car Park (0.9 miles, 18 minutes)
- Glilett Street Car Park (1.2 miles, 24 minutes)
Motorists planning journeys in the busy English capital are reminded that traffic volumes can be high throughout the day, especially during the busy morning and evening rush hours. It can therefore be advisable for drivers to avoid taking to the roads at these times, while they can also often benefit from planning their journeys in advance and pre-booking their parking.
Other attractions for visitors to the area
For individual keen to find out what the area around Laburnam Boat Club has to offer, there are also a wide selection of other attractions that can keep visitors entertained. Some of the standout picks for propel hoping to enjoy culture and the many fine sights that London has to offer includes:
- Old Spitalfields Market (1.3 miles, 14 minutes travel time on foot/via public transport)
- Whitechapel Gallery (1.7 miles, 19 minutes)
- ClueQuest (2.3 miles, 25 minutes)
- Victoria Park (1.1 miles, 22 minutes)
- Design Museum (2.7 miles, 29 minutes)
- The View from the Shard (2.5 miles, 19 minutes)
- Museum of London Docklands (3.4 miles, 30 minutes)
- Camden Market (3.7 miles, 26 minutes)
- The British Museum (three miles, 32 minutes)
- Stretford East Picturehouse (3.9 miles, 38 minutes)
- Palace of Westminster (4.1 miles, 30 minutes)