Address: 8-9 Hyde Park Place, London W2 2LJ
Visitors to London of a spiritual persuasion that are interested in finding more about the Tyburn Nuns – the Benedictine Adorers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Montmartre – should make sure they plan a trip to see Tyburn Convent during their time in the city.
Home to a wealth of 17th century relics and religious artifacts, the convent offers daily tours of its martyrs’ altar and is a working Catholic convent. Guests can also take a guided tour of the building’s crypts.
A relatively unassuming property in the heart of Westminster, the convent was founded in 1903, close to the site of the notorious Tyburn Tree gallows – the location of public executions for more than 300 years prior to the convent’s creation.
Guests can find out all about the rich history of the area and the many gruesome tales of London’s formative years when planning a visit.
Accommodation for anyone planning a trip to Tyburn Convent
Visitors to London hoping to find luxurious and affordable accommodation might like to check out the following hotels, all of which are located just a short distance from this popular attraction:
- The Piccadilly London West End – 65-73 Shaftesbury Avenue, Piccadilly, London W1D 6EX (1.6 miles, 19 minutes’ travel time on foot/via public transport)
- Park Grand London Paddington – 1-2 Queen’s Gardens, London W2 3BA (0.9 miles, nine minutes)
- Park Grand Paddington Court London – 27 Devonshire Terrace, London W2 3DP (0.8 miles, eight minutes)
- Park Grand London Hyde Park – 78-82 Westbourne Terrace, London W2 6QA (0.9 miles, 11 minutes)
- Park Grand London Lancaster Gate – 14-16 Craven Hill, Lancaster Gate, London W2 3DU (0.8 miles, 11 minutes)
- Park Grand London Heathrow – 449 Great West Road, London TW5 0BU (10.4 miles, 54 minutes)
- Park Grand London Kensington – 33/37 Hogarth Road, London SW5 0QQ (three miles, 23 minutes)
Travel options for visitors to Tyburn Convent
Visitors to this vibrant and attractive part of the city might like to consider how best to travel when planning how to get here. One of the first options they might like to consider is the extensive London Underground network, which serves most areas of the capital (all parts of central London) with regular jump-on, jump-off services for travellers.
Some of the closest Underground stations to Tyburn Convent are:
Travellers hoping to make use of overground rail services can also travel via nearby Paddington Station, which offers links to many parts of the city and the rest of the UK. Indeed, full details of all ongoing public transport options from this busy part of the English capital can be found by visiting the official website of Transport for London.
Meanwhile, for anyone with a passion for driving, hiring a car and taking to the streets of London is another option visitors might to consider. With that in mind, here are some of the best local parking facilities that drivers can make use of during their time in the area:
- Bilton Towers Car Park (0.3 miles, seven minutes travel time on foot)
- Portman Square Car Park (0.5 miles, 11 minutes)
- Q-Park Marylebone (0.9 miles, 19 minutes)
- Bell Street Car Park (0.7 miles, 16 minutes)
- Paddington Station Public Car Park (one mile, 21 minutes)
- NCP Car Park London Welbeck Street (0.8 miles, 17 minutes)
However, individuals that are planning to drive during their stay should be aware that traffic volumes can be high throughout the day and into the night, especially during the busy morning and evening rush hours. It is therefore advisable for drivers to plan their journeys in advance to avoid these busy times, while pre-booking parking can also be advantageous.
Other attractions in the local area for Tyburn Convent guests
Finally, for visitors to the area with a hankering to see as many of the local sights as possible, here is a selection of the best local attractions that are just a short journey from Tyburn Convent, enjoy:
- Hyde Park (less than 300 ft, one minutes’ travel time on foot/via public transport)
- Madame Tussauds London (1.1 miles, 13 minutes)
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! (1.5 miles, 16 minutes)
- Churchill War Rooms (two miles, 18 minutes)
- Palace of Westminster (2.2 miles, 16 minutes)
- London Eye (2.5 miles, 21 minutes)
- Westminster Abbey (2.2 miles, 15 minutes)
- The London Dungeon (2.5 miles, 19 minutes)
- Big Ben (2.2 miles, 18 minutes)
- Sea Life London Aquarium (2.5 miles, 19 minutes)
- National Trust – Carlyle’s House (2.5 miles, 29 minutes)
- Tate Britain (2.6 miles, 26 minutes)
- Buckingham Palace (1.5 miles, 15 minutes)
- Natural History Museum (1.4 miles, 20 minutes)